Ginebra slips past Phoenix, 101-99
September 29, 2018 – Xavier University Gym
PBA News 2018: Barangay Ginebra slipped past the Phoenix Fuel Masters, 101-99, in the 2018 PBA Governors’ Cup this Saturday at the Xavier University Gym in Cagayan de Oro City. Celebrated import Justin Brownlee helped the Gin Kings salvage the game late with his 34 points and 15 rebounds, while Joe Devance also added 15 markers and 4 boards.
➤ Scottie Thompson also posted stellar numbers for the Gin Kings with his 12 buckets and 14 caroms, while LA Tenorio chipped-in 10 points and 5 assists.
➤ It was a seesaw battle as there were several lead changes up until 8:19 in the 4th with Phoenix leading 87-85, but Ginebra broke out in clutch time to snatch the victory. Phoenix had a chance to win the game later with 10 ticks left and Barangay Ginebra leading with two, 101-99, but Matthew Wright lost the ball to Brownlee.
➤ Wright led Phoenix with his 27 buckets and 4 rebounds, while Eugune Phelps was limited to 23 points and 13 boards. Calvin Abueva and Jason Perkins also registered vital numbers and scored 17 and 13 points apiece.
➤ The Gin Kings did not have injured stars Greg Slaughter, Japeth Aguilar, and Sol Mercado.
➤ Ginebra is now the league leader in the 2018 Governors’ Cup as they surged to 5-1 while bumping-off the Fuel Masters who dropped to a 5-2 win-loss slate.
More PBA News
- PBA News: GlobalPort grounds Rain or Shine to rubber match July 11, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel smites Talk ‘N Text, 121-110 July 10, 2018
- PBA News: Brownlee heaves Ginebra over Meralco, 88-81 July 10, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel halts Blackwater, 115-106 July 5, 2018
- PBA News: Magnolia breaks NLEX, 116-89 July 5, 2018
- PBA News – San Miguel Beermen wallops NLEX Road Warriors, 125-114 June 24, 2018