Meralco forces deathmatch, blasts Phoenix, 90-74
November 7, 2018 – Cuneta Astrodome
PBA News 2018: Meralco Bolts forced a quarterfinals deathmatch, as it blasted the Phoenix Fuel Masters, 90-74 in the 2018 PBA Governors’ Cup this Wednesday at Cuneta Astrodome. Import Allen Durham paced the Bolts with his double-double of 26 buckets and 16 boards while Chris Newsome also finished with 16 markers.
➤ Former San Beda star guard Baser Amer also added 14 points and drained two clutch threes for the Bolts in crunch time.
➤ Meralco showed their offensive firepower as they shot better on all cylinders against Phoenix, firing 34 of 86 shots for a 39% field goal percentage against Phoenix’s 28 of 93 (30%). The Bolts also connected well from way beyond the arc by making 7 of 23 treys to the Fuel Masters’ 2 of 26 threes made.
➤ Reinforcement Eric Phelps led the losing Phoenix with his own double-double of 27 points and 15 caroms. Meanwhile, temperamental forward Calvin Abueva also chipped-in 18 markers for the Fuel Masters.
➤ Phoenix and Meralco will resume hostilities once more this Friday, November 9 for a do-or-die rubber match and fight for the remaining Semis spot against the Alaska Aces.
More PBA News
- PBA News: GlobalPort grounds Rain or Shine to rubber match July 11, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel smites Talk ‘N Text, 121-110 July 10, 2018
- PBA News: Brownlee heaves Ginebra over Meralco, 88-81 July 10, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel halts Blackwater, 115-106 July 5, 2018
- PBA News: Magnolia breaks NLEX, 116-89 July 5, 2018
- PBA News – San Miguel Beermen wallops NLEX Road Warriors, 125-114 June 24, 2018