Asian Qualifiers 2018:
Rumble at the Arena – Australia romps over Gilas, 89-53
July 2, 2018 – Bulacan Arena
FIBA Asian Qualifiers 2018 News: Australia romped over Gilas Pilipinas, 89-53, but the highlight of the World Cup 2019 qualifier this Monday at the Bulacan Philippine Arena was the all-out bench-clearing brawl between the Aussies and Filipinos. Roger Pogoy was at the center of the melee after an offensive play altercation with Christopher James Goulding. Consequently, Daniel Kickert retaliated with a sucker elbow and decked Pogoy that resulted to the chaotic court rumble.
➤ James Goulding carried the Boomers with 23 points on 4 of 5 Three Point shooting (80% clip).
➤ Andray Blatche led the losing Gilas with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
➤ The Filipinos later lost the game by default as it lost the majority of players due to ejection, and later the remaining players being disqualified due to fouls.
➤ The game was halted by the brawl in the third quarter with 04:01 remaining and Australia ahead big, 79-48. In all, nine Filipino players and four Aussies were ejected from the game. It was later continued with Pilipinas Basketball team being limited to only three players: June Mar Fajardo, Baser Amer, and Gabe Norwood.
➤ Fajardo was saddled with early foul trouble and was limited to only 10 points.
➤ It was revealed by Coach Chot Reyes that Daniel Kickert was taunting and physically hitting Filipino players even during the shootaround warm-up period.
➤ Australia is now up with a 5-1 win-loss slate in the first round of the Qualifiers to top Group B while the Philippine basketball team settles for second with a 4-2 record. Both teams automatically advance to the second round together with third placer Japan beginning this September.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Depleted Iran flattens Guiao-led Gilas, 78-70 December 4, 2018
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Disaster as Gilas falls to lowly Kazakhstan NT December 1, 2018
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Guiao names Gilas Final 12 versus Kazakhstan November 29, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon overpowers Gilas, 71-60 November 25, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon subdues Gilas, 74-68 November 24, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas blasts Jordan in Game 2, 82-73 November 21, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas falls to Jordan quintet, 92-98 November 19, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas survives trey barrage, decks Qatar NT, 92-81 September 18, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT September 14, 2018
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update September 13, 2018