Ginebra secures twice-to-beat, ravages Magnolia, 93-86
October 28, 2018 – Araneta Coliseum
PBA News 2018: Barangay Ginebra secured the twice-to-beat advantage, as they ravaged Magnolia Hotshots, 93-86 this Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum as a primer for their 2018 PBA Governors’ Cup playoffs campaign. Justin Brownlee powered the Gin Kings with his 29 buckets, 12 boards, and 7 dimes, while Japeth Aguilar added 17 markers and 6 rebounds.
➤ Big man Greg Slaughter also made his presence felt for Barangay as he chipped in 11 points and 9 rebounds, while veterans Sol Mercado and LA Tenorio made 9 points each respectively.
➤ Ginebra almost lost the ballgame in clutch time as Magnolia engineered a 9-0 unanswered run to trim an 89-75 Gins lead to only 5 points with 34 ticks remaining. A late Jio Jalalon turnover, however, resulted in a Brownlee easy bucket which sealed the Ginebra win.
➤ Barangay Ginebra mastered the paint to stifle Magnolia, as they hauled 49 rebounds compared to Hotshots 47, and registered 8 swats to Magnolia’s 2 blocks total.
➤ Import Romeo Travis paced the losing Magnolia with 30 points and 7 rebounds, while clutch guard Paul Lee added 21 buckets.
➤ Ginebra is now at the top of the Governors’ Cup heap with an 8-2 record, while Magnolia went down to an 8-3 win-loss slate.
More PBA News
- PBA News: Ginebra advances, stomps Rain or Shine, 96-94 July 24, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel enters finals, eliminates Alaska, 104-99 July 23, 2018
- PBA News: Brownlee’s 44 lifts Ginebra over ROS, 75-72 July 22, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel rips Alaska in Game 2, 105-94 July 17, 2018
- PBA News: Ginebra takes Semis Game 1, torches Rain or Shine, 102-89 July 15, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel cracks Alaska, 92-79, bags Game 1 July 15, 2018
- PBA News: Fiery James Yap leads Rain or Shine to SemiFinals July 13, 2018
- PBA News: Ginebra blasts Meralco, advances to Semis July 12, 2018
- PBA News: San Miguel stops TNT, barges into Semis July 12, 2018
- PBA News: Manuel tows Alaska past Magnolia, 89-78 July 11, 2018