PBA Finals 2018:
Ginebra scores first blood, smites SMB, 127-99
July 27, 2018 – Araneta Coliseum
By Rock Punzalan
PBA Finals 2018 News: Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings scored first blood as it smote San Miguel Beermen, 127-99, in Game 1 of the 2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Finals this rainy Friday at the Araneta Coliseum. Justin Brownlee donned his superman cape anew as he powered the Gin Kings with his 42 points, 9 assists and 7 rebounds, while Joe Devance also contributed 20 markers, 4 assists and 3 rebounds.
➤ Brownlee also hauled 17 of 19 in field goals made.
➤ Renaldo Balkman fought for the losing SMB with his 27 buckets, 13 boards and 2 blocks, while Christian Stanhardinger also added 26 points.
➤ Both gigantic centers of the rival teams nullified their presence as San Miguel’s Junemar Fajardo was limited to only 13 buckets and 12 boards, while Ginebra big man Greg Slaughter added 11 points
➤ Barangay Ginebra had five players in double figures.
➤ Ginebra netted 35 points in the first canto – courtesy of Brownlee’s 18 – to cushion by 15 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. The start of the second half also saw the Gin Kings pummel SMB with a 19 point lead and they never looked back.
➤ The Gin Kings made 51 of 83 shots for a 61.4% field goal percentage, and dropped in 13 of 25 three-point bombs for a 52% clip. Meanwhile, the Beermen shot only 39% from the field.
➤ Ginebra will again battle the San Miguel Beermen this Sunday, July 29 for Finals Game 2 at the same venue.
Quarters: 35-20, 69-50, 94-75, 127-99.
July 27, 2018 - Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City
Written by Rock Punzalan for Philippine Basketball News Team
More PBA News
- PBA 2018: Alaska hammers Rain or Shine, 106-89
- PBA 2018: Magnolia pierces Columbian, 113-95
- PBA 2018: Talk ‘N Text cuffs NorthPort, 104-102
- PBA 2018: Magnolia Hotshots shocks San Miguel Beermen, 109-108
- PBA 2018: Ginebra slips past Phoenix, 101-99
- PBA 2018: Depleted Ginebra subdues SMB, 110-102
- PBA 2018: Phoenix cracks Magnolia Hotshots, 95-82
- PBA 2018: Talk ‘N Text rips Rain or Shine, 110-104
- PBA 2018: Blackwater rallies late, outmaneuvers Ginebra, 124-118
- 2018 PBA Governors’ Cup Schedule, Standings and Scores Update