FIBA issues suspensions on Philippines and Australia
July 19, 2018 – 3PM Manila Time
By Rock Punzalan
Pilipinas Basketball 2018 News: FIBA officially issued punishments and suspensions to the Philippines and Australia basketball organizations, officials, coaches, players and participating referees this Thursday 3 PM Manila time July 19. No lifetime bans were meted out but mostly five game suspensions and monetary penalties were handed out.
➤ 3 players from Australia and 10 from Gilas Pilipinas were punished.
➤ Australian players included Aaron Kickert (5 games suspended), Thon Maker (3 games suspended) and Chris Goulding (1 game suspended)
➤ Gilas players included Calvin Abueva (6 games suspended, including one past offense), Roger Pogoy (5 games suspended), Carl Bryan Cruz (5 games suspended), Jio Jalalon (5 games suspended), Terrence Romeo ( 3 games suspended), Jayson Castro William (3 games suspended), Andray Blatche (3 games suspended), Troy Rosario (3 games suspended), Japeth Aguilar (1 game suspended) and Matthew Wright (1 game suspended),
➤ Both Basketball organizations from Australia and Philippines were given sanctions. Basketball Australia was fined with $134,887.20, while SBP or Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas was fined $337,208.19 dollars.
➤ Coaches from the Philippines were also disciplined. Coach Jong Uichico was suspended 3 games for participation in the brawl, while Coach Chot Reyes was suspended one game and fined $13,521.88 dollars for inciting unsportsmanlike behavior. Reyes later denied the accusation of inciting (in a Twitter post), but accepts the punishment nonetheless.
➤ Participating referees were also axed as they failed to control the situation during the Australia – Philippines qualifiers match last July 2 at Philippine Arena in Bulacan. The referees from Korea, China and Malaysia were suspended one year from officiating FIBA international tournaments.
➤ The Philippines basketball will also be under three years probation. All three home games of Pilipinas Basketball will be strictly played privately outside of the viewing public.
➤ All suspensions only applies to international games. Games played in the NBA, Australian NBL or the Philippine’s PBA will not be affected.
➤ No suspensions or punishments were mentioned regarding acts committed by Aussie players including racial slurs.
July 19, 2018 - 3PM Manila Time
Written by Rock Punzalan for Philippine Basketball News Team
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas survives trey barrage, decks Qatar NT, 92-81
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update
- Gilas Pilipinas chooses Stanhardinger over injured Slaughter
- Philippine Basketball: Chot Reyes yields post to Yeng Guiao
- Philippine Basketball: FIBA greenlights Slaughter
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas flattens Syria, 109-55
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas blasts Japan 8, 113-80
- Asian Games 2018: South Korea eliminates fiery ROS Pilipinas, 92-81
- Asian Games 2018: China narrowly escapes Gilas Pilipinas, 82-80