UAAP News 2018: The UP Fighting Maroons mastered the UE Warriors, 87-58 to open their 2018 UAAP Season 81 basketball campaign with a win this Saturday at the MOA Arena in Pasay. Last year’s UAAP Rookie of the Year Juan Gomez de Liano paced the Maroons with his 16 markers, 7 boards and 6 assists, while Nigerian Bright Akhuetie added a double-double of 15 points and 18 rebounds.
➤ The 6’7 Akhuetie was a former University of Perpetual Help Altas star in the NCAA but opted to suit-up for the Maroons this year after satisfying the residency restriction. He was released by UPHD prior, and was also reported to have had a heated argument with coach Nosa Omorogbe of the Altas during a practice.
➤ Other incoming ace players for the Maroons include former Creighton baller Kobe Paras, and former Green Archer Ricci Rivero. Both will sit out this UAAP season to satisfy the collegiate league’s residency requirements.
➤ University of the East burly bruiser Alvin Pasaol led the losing Warriors with 14 points. He was the lone Warrior who finished in double digits, but scored only 3 points in the second half.
More UAAP News
- PBA Finals 2018: Magnolia repeats over Alaska, leads 2-0 December 8, 2018
- UAAP Finals 2018: Ateneo overpowers UP Maroons, bags Season 81 plum December 5, 2018
- UAAP Finals 2018: Ateneo halts gritty UP Maroons, takes Game 1 December 2, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: UP pulls off Adamson shocker, enters Finals November 29, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: Unstoppable Ateneo smashes FEU, enters Finals November 25, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: UP Maroons stuns Adamson, 73-71 November 24, 2018
- UAAP 2018: FEU trounces La Salle, 71-70 November 21, 2018
- UAAP 2018: UP smashes NU, 82-71 November 4, 2018
- UAAP 2018: La Salle ravages UST, 110-69 November 3, 2018
- UAAP 2018: La Salle demolishes Ayo’s UST, 99-72 October 4, 2018