UAAP Finals 2018:
Ateneo halts gritty UP Maroons, takes Game 1
UAAP Finals News 2018: Ateneo Blue Eagles halted the gritty UP Maroons, 88-79 to take Game 1 of their Finals showdown in the 2018 UAAP Season 81 men’s basketball this Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena. Matt Nieto paced the Blue Eagles with his 27 markers, while Thirdy Ravena had a triple-double of 21 buckets, 10 caroms and 9 dishes.
➤ Tempers flared in the Arena after the collision of imports Angelo Kouame of Ateneo and UP’s Bright Akhuetie in the third quarter. Akhuetie was taken out of the court due to a possible leg injury but surprisingly returned with seven minutes left in the 4th quarter.
➤ Akhuetie helped the University of the Philippines with two free-throws converted, to trail Ateneo with only three points, 68-71. However, the Blue Eagles stepped on the offensive to secure Game 1 in the battle of the Katipunan.
➤ Jun Manzo powered the defeated Maroons with 19 points and 4 rebounds, while star Juan Gomez de Liaño finished with 17 buckets and 8 caroms. Meanwhile, clutch operator Paul Desiderio was limited to just 5 points all game.
➤ UP and Ateneo will resume their Finals tiff on Wednesday, December 5 for Game 2.
More UAAP News
- PBA Finals 2018: Magnolia repeats over Alaska, leads 2-0 December 8, 2018
- UAAP Finals 2018: Ateneo overpowers UP Maroons, bags Season 81 plum December 5, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: UP pulls off Adamson shocker, enters Finals November 29, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: Unstoppable Ateneo smashes FEU, enters Finals November 25, 2018
- UAAP Final Four 2018: UP Maroons stuns Adamson, 73-71 November 24, 2018
- UAAP 2018: FEU trounces La Salle, 71-70 November 21, 2018
- UAAP 2018: UP smashes NU, 82-71 November 4, 2018
- UAAP 2018: La Salle ravages UST, 110-69 November 3, 2018
- UAAP 2018: La Salle demolishes Ayo’s UST, 99-72 October 4, 2018
- UAAP 2018: UE barges to win column, rips FEU, 90-65 October 1, 2018