NBA changes mind, allows Clarkson stint to Asiad
August 14, 2018 – Manila
Pilipinas Basketball News 2018: The National Basketball Association finally heeded the massive call for reconsideration of its earlier decision to bar Filipino American Jordan Clarkson from playing for the Philippine basketball team. In a surprise twist, Clarkson is now officially part of the 12-man Gilas Pilipinas line-up, and will fly as early as Thursday for the battle against Kazakhstan.
➤ Clarkson will also be tasked as the flag-bearer for the Philippines delegation during the opening of the Asian Games this coming Saturday.
➤ Don Trollano, who’s been in and out of the Filipino line-up will again be replaced by Clarkson this after the surprise announcement by the American professional basketball league.
➤ The Philippines Asian Games chef de mission Richard Gomez and Coach Yeng Guiao both confirmed the developments to Rappler and Inquirer.
➤ Gomez also intimated to Rappler that they made multiple appeals to the NBA to change their decision on Clarkson.
➤ Gilas Pilipinas will now play with a core of Rain or Shine players and select PBA cagers along with Cleveland Cavalier’s Clarkson.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- FIBA Asia U18: China hammers Batang Gilas, 76-57 August 11, 2018
- FIBA Asia U18: Australia halts Batang Gilas, 77-43 August 11, 2018
- FIBA Asia U18: Batang Gilas blitzes past Bahrain, 67-52 August 10, 2018
- FIBA Asia U18: Batang Gilas bludgeons China, 73-63 August 8, 2018
- FIBA Asia U18: Batang Gilas destroys UAE, 92-49 August 6, 2018
- FIBA Asia Under-18: Batang Gilas cracks Lebanon, 75-53 August 6, 2018
- Pilipinas Basketball: SBP opts to rejoin Asiad 2018 amid public clamor August 5, 2018
- Pilipinas Basketball: Gilas Pilipinas to forego Asiad 2018 July 26, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: Iran subdues Ateneo, 70-63 July 23, 2018
- Pilipinas Basketball: FIBA issues suspensions on Philippines and Australia July 19, 2018