NBA changes mind, allows Clarkson stint to Asiad
August 14, 2018 – Manila
Pilipinas Basketball News 2018: The National Basketball Association finally heeded the massive call for reconsideration of its earlier decision to bar Filipino American Jordan Clarkson from playing for the Philippine basketball team. In a surprise twist, Clarkson is now officially part of the 12-man Gilas Pilipinas line-up, and will fly as early as Thursday for the battle against Kazakhstan.
➤ Clarkson will also be tasked as the flag-bearer for the Philippines delegation during the opening of the Asian Games this coming Saturday.
➤ Don Trollano, who’s been in and out of the Filipino line-up will again be replaced by Clarkson this after the surprise announcement by the American professional basketball league.
➤ The Philippines Asian Games chef de mission Richard Gomez and Coach Yeng Guiao both confirmed the developments to Rappler and Inquirer.
➤ Gomez also intimated to Rappler that they made multiple appeals to the NBA to change their decision on Clarkson.
➤ Gilas Pilipinas will now play with a core of Rain or Shine players and select PBA cagers along with Cleveland Cavalier’s Clarkson.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Disaster as Gilas falls to lowly Kazakhstan NT December 1, 2018
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Guiao names Gilas Final 12 versus Kazakhstan November 29, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon overpowers Gilas, 71-60 November 25, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon subdues Gilas, 74-68 November 24, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas blasts Jordan in Game 2, 82-73 November 21, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas falls to Jordan quintet, 92-98 November 19, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas survives trey barrage, decks Qatar NT, 92-81 September 18, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT September 14, 2018
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update September 13, 2018
- Gilas Pilipinas chooses Stanhardinger over injured Slaughter September 12, 2018