NBA changes mind, allows Clarkson stint to Asiad
August 14, 2018 – Manila
Pilipinas Basketball News 2018: The National Basketball Association finally heeded the massive call for reconsideration of its earlier decision to bar Filipino American Jordan Clarkson from playing for the Philippine basketball team. In a surprise twist, Clarkson is now officially part of the 12-man Gilas Pilipinas line-up, and will fly as early as Thursday for the battle against Kazakhstan.
➤ Clarkson will also be tasked as the flag-bearer for the Philippines delegation during the opening of the Asian Games this coming Saturday.
➤ Don Trollano, who’s been in and out of the Filipino line-up will again be replaced by Clarkson this after the surprise announcement by the American professional basketball league.
➤ The Philippines Asian Games chef de mission Richard Gomez and Coach Yeng Guiao both confirmed the developments to Rappler and Inquirer.
➤ Gomez also intimated to Rappler that they made multiple appeals to the NBA to change their decision on Clarkson.
➤ Gilas Pilipinas will now play with a core of Rain or Shine players and select PBA cagers along with Cleveland Cavalier’s Clarkson.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- Jones Cup 2018: Ateneo shackles Japan, arrests skid July 18, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: Canada escapes resurgent Ateneo, 86-78 July 18, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: South Korea slashes Ateneo, 90-73 July 17, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: Ateneo routs Chinese Taipei White, 87-64 July 15, 2018
- FIBA World Cup Under-17: Batang Gilas masters New Zealand, 73-51 July 10, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers 2018: Rumble at the Arena – Australia romps over Gilas, 89-53 July 2, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers 2018: Gilas Pilipinas batters Chinese Taipei, 91-73 June 29, 2018
- Australia Boomers stops Gilas Pilipinas, 84-68 February 23, 2018
- Gilas Pilipinas faces Australia Boomers sans Castro February 21, 2018
- Castro propels Gilas Pilipinas over Japan NT, 77-71 November 24, 2017