FIBA Asia U18:
Batang Gilas blitzes past Bahrain, 67-52
August 9, 2018 – Nonthaburi
By Rock Punzalan
FIBA Asia Under-18 News 2018: Batang Gilas blitzed past Bahrain, 67-52, in the 2018 FIBA Asia Under-18 Championships this Thursday at Nonthaburi, Thailand. Kai Sotto starred with his 21 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks, while AJ Edu also contributed 16 markers, 17 boards, 3 assists and 2 swats.
➤ Miguel Andre Oczon also chipped-in 10 buckets for the young Pinoys.
➤ Baqer Ali fought for the losing Bahrain five with 13 buckets and 3 caroms.
➤ The Batang Gilas victory effectively earned them a spot in the FIBA Under-19 World Cup. It was in 1979 when the Philippine basketball team last made it to the prestigious cagefest.
➤ Additionally, the Filipinos placed 13th during the last FIBA World Cup Under-17 tournament.
➤ The young Filipino five will next face Australia this Friday, August 10. The Aussies ended their quarterfinals assignment by beating Japan, 88-52. The match-up will be particularly special, given the recent history of both national squads.
Quarters: 20-11, 26-34, 48-45, 67-52.
Posted August 10, 2018 - Nonthaburi Thailand
Written by Rock Punzalan for Philippine Basketball News Team
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT September 14, 2018
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update September 13, 2018
- Gilas Pilipinas chooses Stanhardinger over injured Slaughter September 12, 2018
- Philippine Basketball: Chot Reyes yields post to Yeng Guiao September 12, 2018
- Philippine Basketball: FIBA greenlights Slaughter September 8, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas flattens Syria, 109-55 September 1, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas blasts Japan 8, 113-80 August 29, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: South Korea eliminates fiery ROS Pilipinas, 92-81 August 27, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: China narrowly escapes Gilas Pilipinas, 82-80 August 21, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: Gilas Pilipinas wallops Kazakhstan, 96-59 August 16, 2018