Asian Games 2018:
South Korea eliminates fiery ROS Pilipinas, 92-81
August 27, 2018 – GBK Hall
Asian Games 2018: South Korea eliminated Rain or Shine Pilipinas, 92-81 at the GBK Hall in the 2018 Asian Games this Monday in Jakarta. Ricardo Ratliffe led the furious Korean run with 30 points, 14 rebounds and 4 assists, while Heo Ilyoung and Kim Suhnyung both contributed 17 markers apiece.
➤ The game was close up until halfway of the fourth canto, when the Koreans assaulted with their three point bombs.
➤ Costly turnovers and defensive lapses snatched the game away from the mighty Filipino squad, as ROS Pilipinas squandered possession after possession by giving-up 13 turnovers. They were also outrebounded by the Koreans who hauled 45 boards compared to Philippines’ 40.
➤ The choice of players of coach Yeng Guiao also costed the Philippines ultimately, as Beau Belga proved ineffective against the beefier Ratliffe. The Pinoys were at a hefty disadvantage given players like Junemar Fajardo or Greg Slaughter could have shored up the Filipino frontline.
➤ Cleveland Cavaliers’ Jordan Clarkson made 25 buckets and 8 caroms for the losing Filipinos, but was severely limited at the half when he scored only 4 points. Christian Stanhardinger meanwhile accounted for 16 points and 9 rebounds.
➤ Pinoy guards Stanley Pringle and Paul Lee Dalistan also dropped 14 and 11 markers each.
➤ Despite Pilipinas Basketball bowing out of competition and not winning a medal, they still presented a respectable performance given they only had a few days of practice and preparation.
➤ Korea made effective use of clogging the driving lanes and double team defense to nullify the penetration drive of Clarkson. The SoKors also stole the ball 9 times.
➤ At the half, the Philippines shot better from the three point line where the Koreans are dreaded. The Filipinos made 7 of 17 (41%) treys versus Korea’s 5 of 16 (31%). Lee, Pringle, Chris Tiu and Gabe Norwood all shot treys before the half ended.
➤ The Philippines is now effectively out of the medal rounds and will be relegated to the classification rounds.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Depleted Iran flattens Guiao-led Gilas, 78-70 December 4, 2018
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Disaster as Gilas falls to lowly Kazakhstan NT December 1, 2018
- FIBA World Qualifiers 2018: Guiao names Gilas Final 12 versus Kazakhstan November 29, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon overpowers Gilas, 71-60 November 25, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Lebanon subdues Gilas, 74-68 November 24, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas blasts Jordan in Game 2, 82-73 November 21, 2018
- Philippine Basketball 2018: Gilas falls to Jordan quintet, 92-98 November 19, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas survives trey barrage, decks Qatar NT, 92-81 September 18, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT September 14, 2018
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update September 13, 2018