FIBA Asia Under-18 News 2018: China hammered hard and avenged its eliminations loss to Batang Gilas, 76-57, in the Semifinals of 2018 FIBA Asia Under-18 Championships this Saturday In Nonthaburi Thailand. Kai Sotto led the defeated Pinoy five with his 16 points, 8 rebounds and 4 steals, while AJ Edu added 14 markers and 8 rebounds.
➤ The Filipinos fell to 4th place and failed to reach the podium as China raced to snatch the Bronze medal.
➤ Wang Quanze led the pummeling for China with his 28 buckets, 14 boards and 4 assists.
➤ The Philippine basketball team defeat highlighted the inefficiency of the Batang Gilas bench which relied heavily on the contribution of stars Dalph Panopio, AJ Edu, Kai Sotto, Dave Ildefonso and Miguel Oczon.
➤ RP five also had a bad shooting day as they only made 21 of 59 shots (36% fieldgoal) compared to China’s 31 of 68 clip (49%). China also moved the ball better as they finished with 20 assists compared to 7 by the Philippines.
➤ The 4th place finish remains to be the best in 28 years as the Pinoys last made it to 3rd place during the tournament’s 1990 staging.
➤ Batang Gilas is already assured of a place in the FIBA World Under-19 Championships in 2019 despite the painful loss to China.
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- Jones Cup 2018: Canada escapes resurgent Ateneo, 86-78 July 18, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: South Korea slashes Ateneo, 90-73 July 17, 2018
- Jones Cup 2018: Ateneo routs Chinese Taipei White, 87-64 July 15, 2018
- FIBA World Cup Under-17: Batang Gilas masters New Zealand, 73-51 July 10, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers 2018: Rumble at the Arena – Australia romps over Gilas, 89-53 July 2, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers 2018: Gilas Pilipinas batters Chinese Taipei, 91-73 June 29, 2018
- Australia Boomers stops Gilas Pilipinas, 84-68 February 23, 2018
- Gilas Pilipinas faces Australia Boomers sans Castro February 21, 2018
- Castro propels Gilas Pilipinas over Japan NT, 77-71 November 24, 2017
- Croatia evades mighty Pilipinas scare, 81-78 OT August 31, 2014