Chot Reyes yields post to Yeng Guiao
September 11, 2018 – Manila Time
by Rock Punzalan
Philippine Basketball News 2018: Coach Chot Reyes has stepped aside from the Gilas Pilpinas program and yielded the national mentor post to Yeng Guiao.
➤ Chot stated via his Instagram account, “I came out of retirement to coach Gilas because MVP (Manny V. Pangilinan) asked me back in October 2016. Amid my growing responsibilities in [TV5] and other big projects, I accepted, because I have complete trust in MVP’s judgment and more importantly because it was an opportunity to serve the country,”
➤ He added, “We have long worked for full support from all of Philippine basketball’s major stakeholders – from Coach Rajko Toroman’s time to my stint in 2013 to 2014, then Coach Tab Baldwin, until my current tenure. Now that the PBA has opened its doors fully to the SBP and the national team, it is time for me to step aside and contribute in a different capacity, focusing on the 2023 program.”
|2005||FIBA Asia Champions Cup||5th|
|2005||William Jones Cup||3rd|
|2005||Brunei Sultan Cup||1st|
|2007||William Jones Cup||3rd|
|2012||William Jones Cup||1st|
|2013||FIBA Asia Championship||2nd|
|2014||FIBA Asia Cup||3rd|
|2014||FIBA World Cup||21st|
|2017||FIBA Asia Cup||4th|
|2018||FIBA World Asian Qualifiers||4-2|
➤ Reyes was recently suspended as coach of Gilas Pilipinas following the regrettable brawl between the Philippines and Australia. 10 Filipinos and 3 Aussies players were suspended as punishment by the FIBA governing body. Additionally, Reyes got suspended for one game, for supposedly inciting violence on court.
➤ Guiao was then named as temporary replacement coach pending Reyes’ ban. Consequently, Yeng’s coaching performance during the 2018 Asian Games increased the public clamor for him to permanently hold the national coach post. Guiao barely had a week of preparation, but led the ROS-Pilipinas team to a respectable 5th place finish.
➤ Yeng is now in the thick of preparing the Team Pilipinas basketball team as they battle a dangerous Iran national team tomorrow Thursday (September 13), for the continuation of the FIBA World Asian qualifiers.
➤ “Together with all the players and coaches who have sacrificed and put their careers on the line for flag and country, we wish coach Yeng and the current team great success, as they continue the World Cup journey. We are with you. Once Gilas, always Gilas,” Reyes reiterated.
➤ Chot’s stint as coach of the national team produced the best performance of the Philippine basketball team in three decades or so in the FIBA Asia Championships, FIBA Asia Cup, Jones Cup and the FIBA Worlds. The lone exception was the regrettable 7th place finish in the 2014 Asian Games.
Posted September 12, 2018 - Manila Time
Written by Rock Punzalan for Philippine Basketball News Team
More Pilipinas Basketball News
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas survives trey barrage, decks Qatar NT, 92-81 September 18, 2018
- Asian Qualifiers: Gilas Pilipinas stumbles to Iran NT September 14, 2018
- FIBA World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers Schedule, Standings and Scores Update September 13, 2018
- Gilas Pilipinas chooses Stanhardinger over injured Slaughter September 12, 2018
- Philippine Basketball: FIBA greenlights Slaughter September 8, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas flattens Syria, 109-55 September 1, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: ROS Pilipinas blasts Japan 8, 113-80 August 29, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: South Korea eliminates fiery ROS Pilipinas, 92-81 August 27, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: China narrowly escapes Gilas Pilipinas, 82-80 August 21, 2018
- Asian Games 2018: Gilas Pilipinas wallops Kazakhstan, 96-59 August 16, 2018